April 27th, 2012
As I was going through my Connection Beyond mail, I received a question from a young lady asking how someone can tell if one is a medium and asked “How can I tell a fraud from a true medium?”. Great question! and instead of answering it via e-mail, I thought many people probably had the same question. In addition, I have a pretty stern view of the whole topic. So, perhaps I will be blunt, but in doing so, may save some of you some time and money by avoiding those who claim to be mediums, but really are using other methods.
First and foremost, a MEDIUM IS NOT A PSYCHIC. However, Mediums receive impressions clairvoyantly (clear vision), clairaudiently (clear hearing), and through clairsentience (clear sensing)…among other methods. These are technically, “psychic” abilities. However, in the media and commercial mainstream today, having a psychic reading means predicting the future. It could encompass psychic impressions through the methods explained above, or it could be done through remote viewing, or seeing different energy lines. In my own interpretation, and please note this is my opinion, the future is not set in stone, and we do have free will to choose different pathways. However, I do believe in seeing a destined “guide post” or “event” if one remains on the current path. I believe we live our own adventure story, with significant or “destined” points and people along the way. Some of these points will serve to take us to a higher level, some are lessons we need to learn, some are tough, but all are fortunate events for us to learn and TO CHOOSE. If we choose to stay at a lower vibration, and not take the opportunities presented to us at the destined points that are meant to change us to a higher vibration, then we continue along the energy line already chosen, and a talented remote viewer or psychic reader may see events along those current lines, provided ALL ON THOSE LINES remain in the current choices! Now here’s where it gets tricky…if you are asking about a relationship, a psychic may see an “outcome”, but sometimes only to a “choice” on the map. When a “choice point” occurs, the energy lines may remain blurred or dim depending on choice. It looks kind of like a map with lines going all through it.
A MEDIUM, on the other hand, is a MESSENGER and A MEDIUM between this world and the next. A medium raises the vibration and remains “in the middle” of both worlds, so as to “hear” messages from THOSE WHO HAVE PASSED AND RELAY THEM TO THE LIVING. The main mission of a medium is to provide undeniable details and validations from the loved one on the other side to provide healing, comfort and hope to the person on earth. Mediumship IS NOT ENTERTAINMENT, or something to be accessed at bachelorette parties, or “just for fun”. It is for those who really need healing, both on this plane and the next. If one is to do mediumship work, it is IMPERATIVE that this person present pure mediumship, and not disguise other psychic methods, or personality reading techniques as a substitute to play on people’s grieving emotional states and hopes of making a real connection with a loved one.
The problem is that MOST who claim to be mediums are not in a pure channel. It’s like going to McDonalds and expecting burger that’s 100% beef. The reality is that you are eating a little bit of beef and mostly seaweed! Same with a good amount of people out there that claim to connect with the other side. In addition there are those who are truly gifted but do not know how to separate the other abilities that are going on, and put them all into one reading and call it “mediumship”. Sorry, but a mixture of psychic information, connection to a past loved one, empathic reading, personality reading, character reading, advice, aura reading, spiritual advice, IS NOT PURE MEDIUMSHIP. These are FILLERS.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM. Most of the general public does not know “technical aspects of mediumship”, and can be easily manipulated into believing that they are receiving an actual message from a loved one when in reality they are receiving perhaps some connection, but the majority of the reading may be ridden with fillers. Now, looking at the reading, they may say WOW! Everyone was right on! This medium knew my personality, how I do things, information about my life and how I feel. Now granted, they may leave feeling a lot better, but in reality they were fooled. What they experienced was mostly a “reading”, but it was not pure mediumship.
A main difference between a psychic experience and mediumship, is the presence of a third entity, or “spirit”. The medium should be connected to the SPIRIT and not the person receiving the reading. The medium should be going to the person for periodic validation of the information to make sure the connection is correct, but should not be asking tons of questions, or speaking mainly about the personality or feelings of the person sitting for the reading. One of the main ways a reader could tell they are in a mediumship channel and is that they are able to sense, and feel the PERSONALITY OF THE SPIRIT, and may feel after the connection that they have actually been in that person’s presence.
IMPORTANT ELEMENTS IN A PURE MEDIUMSHIP READING
- Names of those who have past and of the living if a message is to be relayed to a living person
- The name of the “passed loved one” is not necessary if other names and details are validated
- Accurate representation of the PERSONALITY of the spirit
- Details about the passing (whether medical, emotional, or otherwise)
- Personal details about you and the person who passed that only you would know
- Little details or events that happened in the previous weeks prior to the reading that are mentioned
- Events surrounding the passing
- Accurate representation of relatives, friends and loved ones present with those on the other side
- A MESSAGE!
THREE ELEMENTS THAT ARE A MUST IN MEDIUMSHIP
- Spirit Identification (Either name, how a person passed, physical description, relation to sitter, etc)
- Details & Validations (Personal details, events and incidents that only YOU would know. These details could be funny memories, a thought you had recently, what you bought at the store, renovations to your home, anything that proves that the information is NOT GENERAL. The purpose of these little details is to show the authentication of the connection AND MAINLY SO YOU WILL LISTEN TO THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE READING: THE MESSAGE!
- THE MESSAGE: Why is the spirit here? There should be reason. Does the spirit want to provide a healing message? Reveal details about a passing that were not known? Offer an opinion, warning or message to a loved one? Trying to take care of unfinished business? There is always a REASON. A spirit is not going to come in JUST FOR FUN. There is always a reason.
- A Medium who claims to connect with whoever you want them to, on command.
- A Medium who claims to be able to “get those” on the other side, and who engages in two way connection
- A Medium who provides a lot of OPINIONS and not objective details. Beware of those who insert their own spiritual beliefs, insight, or opinions in readings.
- A Medium who is arrogant, self righteous, not very empathic or sympathetic, or who claims to be a religious guru.
- A Medium who is still active in an addiction (channels may be open to negative energies or information)
- A Medium who is reading for the purpose of their ego and not for the purpose of service
- A Medium who is vague or choppy in the connection, or who bounces from topic to topic, you should feel you are in a flow.
- ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS
Readee: YES! That is exactly my grandmother’s personality, and she always stood like that when she was annoyed with something. She gave the family a hard time because we wanted to take away the keys to her car when she was 88, but she raised hell. And yes, she was ALWAYS sarcastic. That’s her.